Sunday, March 11, 2012

America Is Stealing the World’s Doctors

From The New York Times: America Is Stealing the World's Doctors

“I do feel guilty sometimes,” said Ofori-Amanfo, who came to the United States in 1995, when he was 30. About 530 Ghanaian doctors practiced in the United States in 2006, which amounted to about 20 percent of the doctors left in Ghana, according to an article in The New England Journal of Medicine. Ofori-Amanfo, for one, doesn’t think he’ll ever return for good.
“Particularly when I look at the investment that the nation had put in me to give me my basic training and what the nation would have expected me to contribute,” Ofori-Amanfo said. “There’s a lot of guilt in that. Some cocoa farmer worked very hard to pay his taxes so I can go to school.”

No comments:

Post a Comment